Goals and Student Learning Outcomes
To assess and guide the AU DPD, several goals and outcomes have been developed. These include the following four program goals and 13 outcomes:
Program Goal 1. The AU DPD will encourage student involvement in professional organizations and community/service learning experiences among its majors.
- Outcome 1.1. 50% of third-year and 75% of fourth-year students will indicate joining a nutrition-related professional organization at the national, regional or state level.
- Outcome 1.2. 75% of students will attend at least one nutrition-related professional conference at the national or state level.
- Outcome 1.3. 85% of students will complete a service learning project within the surrounding community.
Program Goal 2. The AU DPD will prepare, assist and encourage students to seek admittance into an ACEND accredited internship program, professional employment or graduate school.
- Outcome 2.1. Over a five-year period, 60% of AU DPD graduates will apply to supervised practice programs the academic year they complete the program.
- Outcome 2.2 Over a five-year period, 50% of those applying to supervised practice programs the academic year they complete the program will be accepted.
- Outcome 2.3. Over a five-year period, 50% or more of program graduates who sought employment in dietetics will be employed within 12 months of program completion.
- Outcome 2.4. Over a five-year period of time, 50% of AU DPD graduates not going into an internship, employed or seeking employment will report pursuing an advanced degree.
Program Goal 3. The AU DPD will prepare students to become contributing members of the scientific community who can function as competent entry-level dietitians in a variety of settings as evidenced by registration exam, dietetics internship or employee surveys.
- Outcome 3.1. Over a five-year period, the pass rate for program graduates taking the registration examination for the first time will be at least 80%.
- Outcome 3.2. 70% of graduates who pass the CDR examination will have a scaled score at or above the national mean.
- Outcome 3.3. 80% of graduates will receive satisfactory or higher ratings from supervisors/employers in at least 75% of the areas surveyed.
Program Goal 4. The AU DPD will, through support and encouragement, build and maintain a cohort of students who complete their Dietetics Program of study.
- Outcome 4.1. 80% of students enrolled in the program after completing DIET 210 Nutrition Seminar will meet the criteria for receiving a verification statement within three years.
- Outcome 4.2. Enrollment of third- and fourth-year students in the AU DPD will be maintained at ten students or more.